Friday, June 15, 2007

Shrek 3 Review: 3 out 4 Stars

A movie review by:

Andrew Vigeant


Who's ready for thirds? I have to admit I was thoroughly surprised by this movies quality and storyline. My friend and I were going to see Knocked Up, but I thought forget that let's just go see Shrek 3. I walked up the aisle to my seat not expecting much, but I got a nice surprise in return.

The most shocking element in this movie was, perhaps, the storyline/plot. I mean, you have to admit, after shrek 2 and you heard their was going to be a 3rd you were like: WTF? what can they possibly add to this?? The basic plot is: Shrek's father in law becomes ill so Shrek is next in line to be the king of Far, Far Away. Shrek doesn't want this though because he wants to stay in his swamp with his beloved Fiona. Shrek then must go on a quest with his two faithful companions Donkey, and my personal favorite Puss in Boots to get Arthur, or Artie as he likes to be called, to be the new king. On their travels they get into a few tight spots and meet some interesting people. Meanwhile, Prince Charming takes over the castle of Far, Far Away, until Fiona and other classic characters decide to take back their castle themselves.

That's it for the storyline, but that isn't the only great thing Chris Miller leaves you with. The actors involved in this, yes i know they dont act but you only hear their voice, are superb choices. Well, besides Timberlake, because the only thing I like about him is his song bringing sexy back. I know they've had the same ones every movie but it's just how can you go wrong with Austin Powers Mike Myers, Dr. Dolittle's Eddie Murphy, The Sweetest Thing's sexy Cameron Diaz, and Zorro's Antonio Banderas?

I have to give props to all the animators as well because I know that stuff isn't easy. They do a great job and everything does look realistic, besides the fact that they are fairytale creatures and characters. Also how can i forget to mention this till now?!!? THE SOUNDTRACK! I couldn't have done better myself! Two standouts obviously are Baracuda and Immigrant song from Heart and Led Zeppelin respectively.

Now the bad parts...yes of course movies aren't perfect! As far as spoofs go their wasn't any drastic ones that I caught, but when you compare this movies laugh-o-meter (yes their IS such a thing) it doesn't compare. Not even close actually which is a major down point and why I gave this movie 3 stars out of 4. This movie is suitable for all ages because it can be enjoyed be all. This film is definitely recommended.

2 comments:

Stefan Vlahov said...

First off I like the fact you're giving credit to the soundtrack in every review you write. I am currently listening to the Pearl Harbor soundtrack and I can picture scenes from the film. Music is one of the most important tools a film can possess.

I din't like this film as much as you did. It is the worst of the threes for sure. Well actually its better than Ocean's Thirteen but both Pirates and Spider-Man beat it in quality. In the end the Shrek series, while funny, is completely empty of any plausible thematic elements. All we are left to look at is a technological marvel with jokes inserted here and there. And that is barely recommendable for me.

Anonymous said...

This comment is directed at your entire blog, not just this one ridiculously idiotic movie that you are reviewing at this point.

First, I would like to ask a question, how do you presume to analyze movies when your ability to analyze anything at all is nil? When you grow up and stop acting like an opinionated adolescent people might actually read your blog.

And by the way, I only needed to read a few sentences of your incorrectly punctuated review for Atonement; a review which also lacked any ability to actually understand what the movie meant or what it was saying to its viewers, to realize that you are incompetent.

I hope this comment impels you to do something better with you life and seek the truth, because if you look you will find it.