Sunday, January 6, 2008

I Am Legend: 3 1/2 out of 4 Stars


A movie review written by:

Andrew Vigeant


Dont worry about a thing, cause every little thing gonna be all right. It will won't it? Robert Neville(Will Smith) is the last man on Earth. The lone survivor of the devastating man-made virus called the KV virus. I won't tell you how it was made, and all that jazz because it is a good surprise, though, I will tell you that it was created to cure cancer. Neville basically dedicates his life to finding a cure for the virus, and constantly does lab research. Neville isn't exactly alone though. Their are creatures in the shadows....watching him.....longing to kill him....waiting for the perfect chance to pounce....Can Neville find a cure in time? Or will he be doomed to suffer the same fate the rest of mankind seems to have faced?

I don't have any really funny quirks to write about here like I usually do, so sorry to disappoint. Although I did see this movie three times at the movie theater. Yeah, I know it would've cost me lots of money if I didn't sneak in two of those times.

Will Smith(Robert Neville) was amazing, I know he wont win an Oscar because he's black(I'm being serious only 4 black actors have EVER won an Oscar, and they all played evil or cruel characters hmmm...fuckin racists people are) but he damn well should. I've been amazed by Smith's performance's since I first watched him in "The Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air"and "Independence Day". That show was mad funny, and still is. Yes, I watch it on nick at nite sue me. I immediately recognized his excellence in the movie, though, not in the TV show. Nowadays he is an extremely distinguished individual. I'm literally proud of him, and the movies he does. Yes, "Bad Boys" was a bit of a stretch for me I admit, but I still enjoyed it because of him. I can't wait to see his movie "Seven Pounds", it will be GREAT!
Alice Braga(Anna) she has the potential to have potential, but I don't know. She was alright in this film, but I liked her accent. Her next two films: "Crossing Over" and "Redbelt" don't seem to have too much promise. However, look forward to her next two after those which are: "Blindness" and "Repossession Mambo". Both are based on novels, so I'll be looking forward to those.
Charlie Tahan(Ethan) Ehh....he's okay? I guess.....he's young though....maybe he'll actually look like he belongs on the big screen?? Possibly? No? Well....he has a movie coming out that he will be in called: "Nights In Rod-something".....yeah he's got nothing going for him. Poor kid. I want to give him a lollipop. Watch me get arrested now because these days everything is misconstrued as sexual.
Sam(the dog Sam) This dog is awesome enough said.
Dark-Seekers(played be CGI) They actually don't look that bad. Stefan doesn't think so, but so what? We don't have to always listen to Stefan now do we? Seriously though they could've done a way better job, and it does take away from the film in a way. Not the enjoyableness level though. P.S. I didn't even know enjoyableness was a word!

Director Francis Lawrence did an amazing job. He didn't direct the "hell" out of this film like Tim Burton did with "Sweeney Todd", but still an applaudable effort by far. (Props to Stefan) I look forward to seeing Lawrence's upcoming movie: "Snow And The Seven" which is a remake of Snow White. I like the whole Marley music throughout this film it added a touch of relaxation which was ironic and contradicted the films atmosphere as well as one of it's themes. Speaking of the themes they were many in this film. I don't want to mention any because I want you to watch and I want to see what you can come up with. Think of it as a challenge. Sound effects, camera-work, and editing are all a thumbs up. Nearly all of the outstanding scenes have has Neville's dog Sam in them so keep a look out!

What causes this film to drop from a 4 star rating to a less honorable 3 1/2 star rating is: CGI and the fact that they couldn't find somebody to compliment Will Smith. The CGI was poorly done, as I've stated before, but it's just such a shame..... Will Smith doesn't need a compliment, but Anna....they could've chosen someone so much more better, and it would've made them film THAT much better! Hell I would've taken "Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix's" Helena Bonham Carter! Overall I definitely recommend this film to all who love movies, and even some of you who don't.

1 comment:

Stefan Vlahov said...

I think Smith does not deserve the Oscar for this, just like he didn't deserve it for Pursuit of Happyness. There is something about his acting that prevents me from believing when he is feeling sad. If anything he should have won for Ali or Legend of Bagger Vance (though he wasn't even nominated) because in those two films his emotions were much more believable. part of acting is selling your character's feelings and Smith cant do that, but look up Tom Cruise.

I really like that youre talking about the actors' future projects - that is an interesting twist that i enjoyed a lot. Can't believe you didn't mention Will Smith's Hancock though.