Friday, July 13, 2007

Fantastic 4: Rise of the Silver Surfer: 2 1/2 out of 4 Stars


A movie review by:


Andrew Vigeant



What's wrong with not being normal?? It's the Fantastic Four in a Fantastic movie!! Well....no...not exactly...The Craptastic Four..actually the FANTASTIC FOUR are back once again! The story starts off as Susan Storm(Jessica Alba) and Reed Richards (Ioan Gruffudd) are getting married. Meanwhile a disturbance is being caused worldwide. A type of radiation energy is causing craters, power outages, and destruction. It even forces Susan and Richard's wedding to come to a "crashing" hault. The Fantastic Four must discover what or who is causing these things to happen, and as they unravel the mystery they learn some things aren't that simple.

I was able to see this movie for free because I have it on dvd, and didn't expect much going into it. I was surprised though at the leap Tim Story(The director) made from the 1st film to this 2nd one. The first one barely got a half-star rating from myself, but this one showed me that they actually gave some effort into this film instead of letting Kevin Smith come in and take a huge shit on it. Thankfully they didn't let him do that this time around....well..actually...he still did take a shit, but this time around they cleaned up, and tried to make a movie out of it.

The acting this time around wasn't nearly as horrendous as it was in the 1st film. Jessica Alba(Susan Storm) does all that she can with the role and lines she is given. She delivers nicely, and although she looks waaaaaaay to skinny, she still presents a certain zing to every film she is in no matter what. That isn't even to mention she is quite the looker. Ioan Gruffudd(Reed Richards) almost makes me gag everytime he's on screen. His acting isn't all THAT bad, but every second of screen time they give him makes me wonder why oh why couldn't have Tim Story just have had auditions outside his house instead of casting Gruffudd. Chris Evans(Johnny Storm) his acting isn't what kills him it was his lines. The kind of lines they try and make him pull of doesn't fit his look. He can act the part, but he can't pull of the look. All in all behind Alba he does the 2nd best. Michael Chiklis(Ben Grimm) voice is perfect as in the last film. I can't really rate him in this category because he is made of rock and I'd have to have the brain of my 7th grade reading/study skills teacher to actually think that rock could show emotion. Laurence Fishburne{The Silver Surfer (voice)} is the voice of the elite villian Silver Surfer. I don't know if it was where Tim Story's mom went wrong in bringing him up or whether it was the matter of money, but why the fuck(excuse the language) would you pick FISHBURNE of ALL people to be the voice of the Silver Surfer?!?!?!!? I mean I'd rather have Vin Diesel play him and I HATED the Chronicles of RiddleDick!! *Slight Spoiler* Julian McMahon(Victor Von Doom) is back. No I'm not lieing to you. His acting isn't anything great once again, so if you're one of his fans(if he has any) don't get excited. His lines fit him well though because he sounds just as he looks. Annoying. I'd still love to just turn into the Hulk and with a flick of my finger send him flying across the United States...

Although they're very limited standout scenes in this movie they're are a few good qualities that try and make up for that. And to get this out of the way: YES the special effects were just as great this time around as well!! *Spoilers* When the Silver Surfer flies through buildings, cars, and whatever else he flew through lol, the waves and backlash look amazing. The Silver Surfer looks amazing period to be exact. Every scene he's in wakes you up(sometimes literally) and you are like woa! And forces you to ask the person next to you okay what's going on? What did I miss? The emotion in this film will leave many dry eyes in the audience, but at least this time around you can feel (no not RAW emotion) lots of little twinges that tug at your heart, and after the entire film you grab the person next to you and scream: DO YOU FEEL THAT? CAN THIS BE TRUE?!!? I ACTUALLY FELT SOMETHING AFTER A FANTASTIC FOUR MOVIE? Well I can assure you, that you did in fact feel something. Whether it was from the film or from below your pants cause your hand was their during the whole time Alba was on screen is for you to know and keep to yourself. Also I liked the fact that they chose random ass scenery in this film. It actually made it work who woulda thunk it?? Finally, I have to admit, the humor actually got to me quite a few times in this movie. I know, I KNOW, but it did! With a line like "He's going to get an invisible kick in the balls" how can you go wrong??

The drawbacks in this movie were evident in the 1st as well. The main one is the lack of overall effect. You go into this movie feeling almost the same way you came into it. Probably sick. At least this time around you might have a few singes on your heart becuase of the bits and pieces of emotion. Secondly, the lack of acting talent just pulls your interest level in this movie waaaaaaaay down, and you can become easily distracted by the shiny object in the corner...ooooh sooooo shiny!!! But Tim Story seems to counter this with giving Jessica Alba as much screen time as possible which well I'm not exactly complaining about, but I mean....she can really eat 10 pounds of pasta cause she seems to keep losing weight. Thirdly, you don't really get too much out of the movie as a whole. The only thing you get is if you different it's okay, and not to be a conceited prick. The first one seems to be over-used throughout many recent films, and the 2nd one I'd be glad to tell you each and everyday when you wake up. Under a review for everyone these points that this movie lacks causes it to drop to a rating of 2 out of 4 stars, and therefore I can't recommend this film unless you have some sort of knowledge of the Fantastic Four other than this film and the 1st than go and see it you'll enjoy it. Overall, I can't recommend this film to everyone, but only people like myself that have prior experience with the Fantastic Four. My rating for people with prior knowledge: 2 1/2 out of 4 Stars. My rating for people with no previous knowledge: 2 out of 4 Stars.

2 comments:

Stefan Vlahov said...

First off, this is very funny and informative at the same time which is what critics need to be. I am neither, maybe that's why I got rejected by that site, but whatever. I gave this film ** out of **** which is what I gave the first, and I don't think this is a step up from it, but at least it stays on the same average level of stupidity as the first. Honestly, Marvel are making so many mistakes with hiring directors for their movies. Tim Story is a prime example of that, and if you look up the next Hulk film - The Incredible Hulk on imdb you'll probably vomit. Marvel need to get their priorities straight and start hiring real directors not the director of Taxi.

Anonymous said...

lol so the only thing i can really say after reading this is that u are sucha goofball! it was funny and of course good to read and know cuz i am not gonna go see it now. lol. no desire. but informative! =]