Friday, July 6, 2007

Transformers Review: 3 out of 4 Stars







A movie review by:

Andrew Vigeant


Does the hype of Transformers and all the publicity it's recieving stay true during the movie? One word answer: Yes. Not to mention Transformers truely is: "More than meets the eye." Yes, it's true, I am a big Transformers fan ever since I was a little kid thinking one day, just one day, I could be like Mark Grace, or Sammy Sosa. In this amazing movie Shia Labeouf(Sam Witwicky) is back as the main character and is looking for his first car. The car salesman(played by Bernice mac) and he tells Sam that you don't pick the car, the car picks you, at first he refuses to sell the car for $4000 sam and his dad offer, but negotiations are made after a series of amusing events. The car Sam picks out is an old, rusted Camaro, who unknown to him is Bumblebea, one of the autobots. The reason the Autobot Bumblebea is here is to find a special item the Allspark, before the Decepticons find it. Eventually all the Autobots and Decepticons arrive at Earth in search of the Allspark and they have their own war on Earth. The government knows all about the Allspark and about Megatron(The Decepticon leader) so the Decepticons hack their network. Sam and his love interest Mikaela Banes(played by the delicious Megan Fox), are taken into military custody for having direct contact with the autobots and are ordered to help the government destroy them because the government already knows why they are here...

I was in arlington heights again spending the night at a friend's house, when we decided to go see Transformers because my friend thought it would be "the truth". I agreed. Probably in part because I was a huge fan, I always watched the cartoon and even have the toys of them. Not that I still play with them.... ANYWAYS!! Their was one problem: he didn't have any money. Their was only one solution: sneak into the movies. It was quite easy except for the fact that LeStouf was their guarding, ( a huge offensive lineman from my friends football team). Eventually i managed to hold open the door without LeStouf seeing and we snuck in like all cool and professional like, luckily we were on the correct side or else we woulda been fucked.

The acting in this movie was quite pleasant for the most part. Although a few didn't preform up to potential it generally didn't take away from the movies overall effectiveness. Nobody in this movie did an oscar deserving preformance but that shouldn't be what makes the movie. Shia LaBeouf's (Sam Witwicky) preformance was great but not as top-notch as it was in Disturbia. In Disturbia it was quite evident that he was preforming at his potential, but here it was still great but he couldn've been much better. He is quite a good actor though and will only get better. I imagine many great things to come out of him and many more roles for him to fill in movies in the future. He seems to have a knack for movies with added comedy in it but I believe he can do many different things. I'm glad I will have more to remember him by other than the classic Disney show: Even Stevens. Megan Fox (Mikaela Banes), although very easy on the eyes didn't preform up to par in this movie. It wasn't her facial expressions that were her drawback but her overall delivery of her lines in this movie that fell flat. She's only 21 though so i can still date her...i mean the age difference is only 3 years...damnit!!!! ! i mean her acting will become more fluent in time. Josh Duhamel's (Captain Lennox), performance was quite believeable which I was surprised by because often times military roles are hard to fill because even if you can deliver you may not get the audience to believe you'd be a soldier. Duhamel does both of these though and as I found myself watching I was a believer. I believe it was one of his more solid efforts he has done in awhile. Rachael Taylor's (Maggie Madsen), preformance was near believable although I kept asking myself she would pull this off better as the movie went on...it never happened. She was mediocre throughout the film although quite pretty. Anthony Anderson's (Glen Whitmann) preformance was how it usually is. Just above average. You usually don't see much more from him but then again he never really gets the oppurtunity to show just how good he can be. Tyrese Gibson's (USAF Tech Sergeant Epps) preformance was one of the lowest of his career. I liked him in Waist Deep and 2 Fast 2 Furious even though I didn't enjoy either of those movies. He just isn't believable... Jon Voight's (Defense Secretary John Keller) preformance was as expected for me. I love this guy he just plays his parts so well and doesn't try and go over the top with it or try to hard. He does what he needs to and goes home. Good man. Solid Actor. John Turturro's (Agent Simmons) preformance was great! Although I've never heard about him before the movie: O Brother Where Art Thou, I've kept a closer eye on him. His preformance in Mr. Deeds was great as well although in this movie he outdoes himself as far as Mr. Deeds though. In this movie he was the best I've ever seen him.

Their was a lot that stood out in this film but certain scenes, the actors/actresses lines, and the themes did it for me. The script writer for this film is a genious. I can't find who exactly it was but i just want to tell him: Thank you. That isn't even to mention Michael Bay! He is one of my favorite directors and everytime he makes a film I get excited. The themes in this movie were very important ones that weren't all that obvious because this film has enough to keep you occupied. The two that I liked the most for me were you can't trust the government and revenge isn't always as sweet as expected. Their are countless scenes I could mention here, but I'd end up talking about nearly every scene in the movie. Some noteables to look out for when you watch are: every scene Shia Labeouf is in he's a riot and does a great job in this film. The humor involved which involves Shia Labeouf, Megan Fox, John Turturro, and the Transformers. The classic Transformer fight scenes just watch and be amazed. Then go back and watch again to soak up the raw emotion throughout the film especially the Transformer fight scenes. Everyway you look at how this movie is made it comes out looking like fresh roses. Their is so much more, but I wont discuss any further.

The problem with the drawbacks in this movie weren't the quantity, but the quality. One main thing is the fighting scenes. Although they were amazingly made and put together, some of them are hard to keep up with. This happens a little too often, and I'm sure it was hard enough to just put everything together. The second reason was the small screen time some of the Decepticons had in this film. The last main reason was the film seemed kinda rushed. As with King Kong I wouldn't have minded staying at least 15 minutes later to see a few more scenes. The overall acting was about a B- which only affected the rating a tad though. I encourage people of all ages to see this film because it is solid throughout and even if you're not a fan you will enjoy yourself especially with the added dosage of humor this film brings with it. This film is definitely recommended.

2 comments:

Stefan Vlahov said...

I'm sure 'fresh roses' is what Bay was aiming for lol. Yeah this film is 'the truth' to quote Rad and I have a feeling my review will be very similar to yours. I think that you make a good point about the action scenes containing a lot of quick cuts, probably the reason I didn't give this 3.5 stars (A-). This was also the reason The Island got only three stars. If Bay goes back to actually showing us the actions like he did in Bad Boys 2 and especially Pearl Harbor, his movies might again be Top 10 contenders for the end-of-the-year list. But that's about all I can pick on, we don't go to his movies for the Oscar-worthy acting after all lol.

Anonymous said...

aww u are such a little movie critic mister. u were so thurough in all the acting styles and what u did and didnt like and u made me remember some of the films i might have seen them in and what to look for. u did kind of ruin the movie a bit cuz i never saw it but u continued with the raving reviews that i heard. u did a great job and i liked reading it even though i have no idea who michael bay or nearly anyone else was. but i did love pearly harbor.... =]

great job mister! i just might go see the movie, u twisted my arm =] lol.